05 November 2008

Pregnancy Etiquette: Top 10 things not to ask/say/do to a pregnant woman

I saw this on another's blog and thought it was funny, so decided to post it :)

I admit, conversation with a pregnant woman makes for a tricky state of affairs. For some reason, the social norms that usually apply have no bearing anymore for some people. If you are one of these...try to consider the mental/emotional fragility of the audience by avoiding the following:

1. Try not to flatten yourself against the wall when she walks by.
2. As fascinating as it is, do not share your labor story from hell.
3. Don't ask, "are you sure you aren't having twins?" -- hello?!?!
4. As much as you think you know about everything, don't be the pregnancy police. Avoid asking, "should you be eating/drinking/doing that?"
5. Husbands, don't ask "are you really going to eat that whole [insert pie/box of donuts/side of beef]. Don't make a fat joke. Don't make a fat joke. Don't make a fat joke.
6. Don't say, "You look ready to pop, I can't believe you still have [insert timeframe] to go!"
7. For pete's sake, is it really your business to ask "was this planned?"
8. Avoid calling maternity leave "vacation".
9. Try not to make every conversation about pregnancy.
10. Don't make the first thing you say, "how are you feeling?" -- do you really want to know?

4 comments:

Lexi said...

Hahaha loved this! Thanks for posting it. I like the picture too. I hope you are "feeling well". lol

Unknown said...

This is really really funny!

Sara said...

I can't believe that you are only two weeks away from having your baby. I swear your pregnancy flew by (probably a lot faster for me than you!!)I'm so excited for you! And I loved the pregnancy list! Too funny!

Natalie said...

Okay so I'm pretty sure every conversation we have somehow ends up with pregnancy, childbirth, etc., but oh well. I would have to say it is by far the most amazing experience of my life up to this point. Winning the spelling bee in 4th grade was cool and all, but nothing compares with giving birth!