22 September 2011

Sippy Cups

 Do you have the time, to listen to me whine?

Oh how I hate them.

I let my kids carry them around for way too long, I am aware of that. But they were SO convenient! Only now am I aware of the problems I was causing for us without knowing it.

See, we recently all went to the dentist.  Turns out that letting them carry those cups around with juice or milk in them all the time cause BIG problems with their teeth. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, because they were always well hydrated.  A couple years ago we took Kaleb in and he had 4 cavities filled-at the age of 2. I wish that that dentist had said something to me at that time about the damage that was being done.  I could have prevented a whole lot more, if I had only known!

Now we have mega dental bills :(  Both kids have to be sedated to get everything done. Which if they consider medically necessary our medical insurance will pay for, but who gets to determine that? Unfortunately, we only have basic, preventative care dental coverage, which means that they won't cover any fillings, crowns or anything of the sort.  argh!!

So now I know. These babies (and any other future babies) will get sippy cups, but only with water. Juice and other drinks have become very limited in our house, and it will have to stay that way!  I feel so bad for my kids, makes me feel like a bad mommy for not knowing! Luckily the dentists have been very nice and not made us feel worse about it, they seem understanding-like maybe it happens often. The one said that even the little gum brushes for babies are good so that when teeth do come in, they are coming into a clean environment. And whether I breastfeed or they have a bottle or whatever, to just wipe their mouths out after they eat.  And after kids drink milk or juice, have them drink water to wash it down. Good things to know!

Anyway, if you have read this far, thanks for listening to me vent! 

2 comments:

whitney said...

As a long-time sippy user myself, that's good to know! I never would've guessed they could do that much damage!

Unknown said...

Live and learn :) sometimes the hard way :(