How cute is this little girl?!

Notice how the camera flash made her eyes white instead of red? It is because she has Retinoblastoma. " Retinoblastoma is a malignant tumor (cancer) of the retina (part of the eye) that generally affects children under the age of 6. It is most commonly diagnosed in children aged 1 - 2 years." (Google Health)
Kelsey was diagnosed at 8 months old. Usually, if there is only a tumor behind one eye, they would remove the eye and tumor. Poor Kelsey has tumors behind both eyes and floating ones in her brain. They have to do Chemo every 4-6 weeks, for a minimum of 6 years. Today they went in for her 2nd round of Chemo and was going to go under anesthesia while an Ophthalmologist and Retina specialist looked at her and did laser treatments. Today they found out that her tumors are shrinking!! But they aren't shrinking fast enough, so they couldn't do the cryotherapy like planned, and what has shrinking has occurred has detached both her retinas. She probably only sees light and dark shapes and no details. They are not too optimistic for much recovery. They can't do a detached retina surgery because that involves sucking out the fluid in her eyes and possibly spreading the cancer. Because of this, they were set up to see the worlds foremost retinoblastoma doctors. Their appointment in on Monday, in Philadelphia! I work with Kelsey's mom, and she has been so so positive and upbeat through this whole thing! She is amazing! Please include this family in your prayers, they can use all they can get! I know they are setting up a fundraiser for them, but don't know the details yet. If you are able and would like to help out at all, get in touch with me and I will get you more information!
I am so so grateful that I have healthy kids, I am healthy, and my husband is healthy. I probably take it for granted too often, it's not something I think about until I know of a situation like this and it opens my eyes a bit. I hope that I can be more grateful for all of my blessings each and every day!
Kelsey was diagnosed at 8 months old. Usually, if there is only a tumor behind one eye, they would remove the eye and tumor. Poor Kelsey has tumors behind both eyes and floating ones in her brain. They have to do Chemo every 4-6 weeks, for a minimum of 6 years. Today they went in for her 2nd round of Chemo and was going to go under anesthesia while an Ophthalmologist and Retina specialist looked at her and did laser treatments. Today they found out that her tumors are shrinking!! But they aren't shrinking fast enough, so they couldn't do the cryotherapy like planned, and what has shrinking has occurred has detached both her retinas. She probably only sees light and dark shapes and no details. They are not too optimistic for much recovery. They can't do a detached retina surgery because that involves sucking out the fluid in her eyes and possibly spreading the cancer. Because of this, they were set up to see the worlds foremost retinoblastoma doctors. Their appointment in on Monday, in Philadelphia! I work with Kelsey's mom, and she has been so so positive and upbeat through this whole thing! She is amazing! Please include this family in your prayers, they can use all they can get! I know they are setting up a fundraiser for them, but don't know the details yet. If you are able and would like to help out at all, get in touch with me and I will get you more information!

I am so so grateful that I have healthy kids, I am healthy, and my husband is healthy. I probably take it for granted too often, it's not something I think about until I know of a situation like this and it opens my eyes a bit. I hope that I can be more grateful for all of my blessings each and every day!
1 comment:
Poor little thing! Both the mommy and the baby! I can't even imagine having to put my baby through chemo that often for so long! I'll definitely keep them in my prayers!
You're right, I take my children's health for granted every day. I definitely needed this reminder.
Post a Comment